Faced with climatic challenges, consumers are increasingly concerned about their choice of fuel for heating or hot water production. They are turning their backs on fossil fuels and opting for pellet or wood pellet heating. This ecological alternative also has various advantages in terms of economy. Retail review.
What is the pellet?
The pellet or wood pellet is a fuel for heating. Unlike conventional logs, the pellet-premium is less bulky, has low humidity, reducing rotting problems and produces less ash. It is a better alternative to fossil fuels, like oil or fuel. It comes from the recycling of sawdust and wood chips from the wood industry. They are compressed in the form of a cylinder almost 8 mm in diameter.
Three types of heating use this ecological fuel: the pellet stove, the wood pellet boiler and the boiler-stove. The first is particularly installed in the living rooms and serves as additional heating.
How does a pellet stove work?
Its mode of operation is relatively simple.
1. Each heater is equipped with a fuel tank. One filling is enough for power the stove for several days.
2. A screw system transports the wood pellets to the combustion chamber or commonly called the fireplace.
3. A fan provides oxygen to maintain the fireplace.
4. The heat produced is propelled into the room to be heated thanks to a second fan.
5. A third fan takes care of the smoke evacuation produced via the chimney flue.
Why choose this heating method?
The wood pellet stove is a big investment, but its purchase quickly pays for itself, especially
- Inexpensive fuel: Made from recycling wood chips, wood pellets are relatively affordable compared to logs. They are sold in 15 kg bags or in bulk.
- High efficiency: up to 90 % or more. It far exceeds open fireplaces and wood-burning stoves.
- Regulation: depending on the model of your choice, you can adjust the temperature of the thermostat according to the room where this backup heater is installed. Via a dedicated application, you can also program it remotely, turn it off in your absence and turn it on again a few minutes before your return home, for example.
- Substantial autonomy: 12 hours at full power, which is rare, and 36 hours at 30 % of power.
Energy suppliers grant financial help for the installation of a wood pellet boiler such as Energy Transition Tax Credit, eco PTZ, Energy Premium and VAT at a reduced rate. Anah's aid also covers a large part of the expenses related to the energy transition. These grants are subject to certain conditions. Generally, it is essential to entrust the installation work to an RGE craftsman or "Recognized Guarantor of the Environment".