Difficult to make a choice for your new Ceiling Fan? We wrote this Special Ceiling Fan buying guide to help you, with the TOP10 of the best sales of the moment, tests, opinions… As in all our buying guides, we went out of our way to help you choose the best Ceiling Fan! Want to buy a new Ceiling Fan? Discover the comparison of the best in this Guide 2020 Ceiling Fan written by us to help you choose the best model, the best brand… In this guide as in all ourshopping guides 2020, our entire team has put together all the things you need to know in order to buy the best Ceiling Fan!
Our selection of ceiling fans
|1||Ceiling Fan with Light Creative Invisible Fan with Dimmable Remote ...||42,00 €||See the offer|
|2||Farelek Bali Ceiling fan, 107 cm, white||49,99 €||See the offer|
|3||Farelek Baleares Ceiling fan 132 cm||87,77 €||See the offer|
Ceiling fan buying guide
Refreshing and aesthetic, the Ceiling fan remains an essential ally during the summer heat. In order to help you choose the model that would suit your needs, we have tested several popular products for you on the market and put in place some criteria on which to base your purchase via this buying guide.
Why choose a ceiling fan?
Global warming often causes unexpected disturbances. We have already experienced it very often, especially with strong periods of heat waves. It seems like the installation of a ceiling fan or an interesting alternative, because it has many advantages over other indoor and outdoor cooling solutions.
The ceiling fan is a great choice for save on your energy bills, because it consumes very little. However, its ventilation remains very efficient thanks to a multi-layered air circulation system which makes it capable of ensuring optimal air circulation in a room. This is a very useful feature in rooms with small openings and poor ventilation.
In winter, it works in concert with the backup heater, allowing the temperature of a room to homogenize by distributing the heat evenly.
The ceiling fan provides a more aesthetic rendering. Traditional models are popular with fans of vintage decoration, while more decorative and practical alternatives are marketed for more contemporary interiors.
The criteria for choosing the right ceiling fan
The range of ceiling fans is so vast and varied that it can be very difficult to choose. To help you select the best ceiling fan model for your interior, discover the main criteria to remember.
- The size of the blades: There are fans of all shapes and sizes on the market with blades of all sizes. Before buying, you must therefore know the maximum area to ventilate. Blades 80 cm to 130 cm long allow the air to be stirred in a space of 10 to 30 m².
- The degree of inclination of the blades: the more the blades are inclined, the better! A quality ceiling fan allows you to quickly lower the temperature of the room. The perfect incline for better efficiency is 12 °.
- The material: the market is flooded with ceiling fans made of wood, PVC, aluminum, iron, stainless steel or brass. If the wood is more aesthetic, stainless steel and aluminum are more resistant. But PVC slats are very flexible, manoeuvrable and lighter.
- The ignition system: to turn on or off or adjust the speed of your ceiling fan, you have the choice between several types of command. The manual pull-tab is not recommended for very high ceilings. The wired wall control requires a more technical installation. The remote control is now popular with the public as it allows you to operate the device without having to move from your sofa or bed, thus ensuring great user comfort.
- The design: the look of the designer ceiling fan plays an important decorative function in the room where it is installed. Sitting in the center of the ceiling, it is an integral part of the decor, so it is essential to combine it with all the furniture.
- Silent mode: before installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom, it is essential to take an interest in the noise generated by its use. Next to a comparison of the different devices, it seems that the DC motors which equip the new models are quieter.
- Rotation speed: Also opt for a model with several rotation speeds in order to benefit exactly from the desired temperature in each room.
The best ceiling fan models
Whether traditional or not, today's ceiling fans are mostly equipped with advanced or innovative technologies. We can classify the models in several categories:
- LED or bulb ceiling fan : Versions with integrated lighting system are currently very trendy. They are aimed at a wide audience but also at interior design professionals.
- Ceiling fan with remote control : this model is one of the bestsellers of Ceiling fan on the market in particular because it can be controlled remotely. Digitized or even connected versions will allow remote programming or triggering.
- Bladeless fan : This version is actually a classic fan with a cylinder-shaped outer shell that hides the entire mechanism. It’s from afar, the most discreet and aesthetic model
- Paddle fan : this is the most common model on the market. The number of blades does not play a major role in the efficiency and performance of the ceiling fan. The question of the number of blades is therefore purely aesthetic. Choose according to your desires and personal tastes.
- Reversible ceiling fan : after testing this model, it turned out to be the best ceiling fan on the market. The direction of rotation of the blades can be reversible to allow heat to be evacuated either upwards (summer mode) or downwards (winter mode) as needed.
How to install a ceiling fan?
Now that you have your ceiling fan in hand, we will have to install it. To do this, you need to acquire some DIY notions. To help you with this task, this guide will be of great help.
Generally, ceiling fans are delivered as spare parts. The packaging should include the user guide with assembly instructions, blades, fan brackets, motor, housing, hanger rod (except in the case of a hugger type model), as well as the mounting bracket.
Depending on the reference chosen, the product may also include a lighting kit, a remote control or a wall control. Remember to unpack everything to check that everything is there, paying attention to the most fragile parts.
Then proceed to cleaning your ceiling at the area where the fan will be hung. Take a ladder and the tools you need to install your new equipment: screws, terminals, hexagonal wrench, screwdriver, drill, pliers.
The best position
It is possible to fix a ceiling fan at any location, as long as there is a power cable. But for obvious practical reasons, it is advisable to place this equipment in the center of a room to replace a ceiling light. Also make sure that the model chosen is proportional to the walls, ceiling height, quality of the ceiling, furniture and curtains to avoid flickering due to air resistance and the risk of fire. You should also know that a ceiling fan is ideally placed 2.5 m from the floor. This avoids the risk of accidents of all kinds and ensures excellent air circulation.
Assembly and electrical connection
Usually, a ceiling fan comes pre-assembled to make your job easier. Assembly instructions are clear and supplied with the product. This consists of connecting the equipment to the electrical network. By following the guide carefully, the installation is easy. However, if in doubt, call a licensed electrician.
Above all, it is mandatory to turn off the power of the room in which the ceiling fan will be installed. Then remove the old light fixture and unplug its wires. It is important to specify that the wires must under no circumstances be stripped. Then place the fan mounting bracket by drilling the holes first. Screw the support to the ceiling and connect the wires to each other, making sure that the earth, neutral and phase sequence is respected. Arrange the cables so as to be completely hidden by the fan mounting cover.
Now is the time to proceed to the installation of the suspension rod and the fixing cover of the device. In the case of small models, the cables are usually pulled through the rod. Cables are included in rods with a maximum length of 46 cm from the motor to the cover. Secure everything using the screws provided. Place the ceiling fan on the mounting bracket and secure it in the housing. Then just connect the cables from the suspension rod to the ceiling and fix the fixings to the support and you're done.
Attach the fan blades on their brackets using the bolts provided. Sometimes these blades are already pre-assembled in the delivery box. Either way, make sure they are properly aligned, with a gap between the ceiling and the bottom of the unit evenly across all blades. Be aware that you may decide not to install all of the blades provided; the number of blades depends on the air flow of the equipment. However, the shape of these must also be taken into account.
Once the ventilator is in place and connected, proceed to the installation of the luminaire or lighting kit making sure to associate the colors with each other. Usually the drawbars are delivered already connected with the fan motor. And in the case of a model with a remote control, simply place the receiver between the ceiling support and the ball of the suspension rod. If you opt for a wall control, that is, a fan model without lighting, just replace the wall switch on your old lamp with the fan controller. However, if you decide to keep your lighting, install a bulb by opting for a bright ceiling fan or the model comes with a lighting kit, you need to install a new wall controller.
Once your Ceiling fan installed, you must make sure that it works correctly by leaving it running for 24 hours straight. For the sake of saving energy, you can choose the lowest speed. During the first hours of operation, the ceiling fan oscillates and moves slightly; this is perfectly normal until the engine is well run-in. If after this time the device still performs abnormal movements, check that the blades are well balanced.
How to maintain a ceiling fan?
It is important to keep a clean fan so that it performs its functions and can last a long time. This is because dirt, in particular dust, influences the movement of the device and may cause it to overheat. You must therefore make sure that deposits are removed from the blades of the device on a regular basis. To do this, use a soft, dry cloth to wipe each blade of your ceiling fan. Otherwise, when the dirt is stubborn, a mild detergent and a sponge, as well as a little water are necessary. Be careful not to soak the engine, just lightly dampen the sponge.
In case of imbalance of the blades, you can place weights in order to counter this. This is a necessary action, as frequent imbalance can wear out the device. Typically, ceiling fan models come with small self-adhesive weights in order to do this balancing. However, it should be noted that these weights are only to be applied when necessary. If your device is operating normally, there is no need to rebalance.
Finally, you should know that current ceiling fan models are designed to be completely silent. Manufacturers now equip their products with a DC motor that makes virtually no noise. So, if despite this your silent ceiling fan is making humming or any other frequency noise, it may indicate poor installation. Resolve the issue by consulting the installation manual and reviewing your work. Otherwise, you can hire a professional.
Last update: 2020-09-23 02:31:24